I veganized a traditional Alfredo recipe and came up with this. I used Fry’s (South African vegan mock meats) polony instead of ham. Fry’s featured my recipe on their website and in one of their e-book recipe collections.
- oil for frying. (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1-2 gloves garlic, minced
- 250g mushrooms
- ¼ FRY’S POLONY/ SLICING SAUSAGE, diced, small bits
- 250ml Soy/ Non-Dairy Cream
- ½ tsp Paprika (or to taste)
- a pinch on Nutmeg (optional)
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
* You can use a mock bacon like Quorn Breakfast Rashers (vegetarian, but not vegan) if you choose. I don’t add salt whilst cooking this, because the polony is pretty salty.
Fry the onions until soft. Add and fry the garlic, being careful not to burn the garlic or it will be bitter.
Add the mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms go brown.
Add the Fry’s polony and stir for a few seconds
Add the cream bit by bit and allow to cook for a minute or so.
Add the paprika and nutmeg and cook until the cream thickens.
Add the pepper and parsley and leave for about a minute.
Serve with pasta and sprinkle with vegan parmesan.
© lowercase v 2014